Side Dishes: Apple Kasha Stuffing
Savory and sweet!
Serves: 6 cups
- 1 cup Wolff's Kasha (Medium)
- 1 egg or egg white, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup each chopped onion and celery
- 2 cups chopped unpeeled apples
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 2 cups hot chicken or turkey broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine kasha and egg or egg white. Heat heavy skillet or pan (with tightly fitting lid).
- Sear kasha until egg is cooked (2-3 minutes); remove from pan.
- Add butter to same pan; saute onion, celery and apples; season with sage.
- Return Kasha to pan and carefully add boiling broth; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed (8-11 minutes). Adjust seasonings.
- Cool thoroughly before stuffing poultry. Or bake separately in covered casserole at 350 F for 45 minutes.