Entrées: Kasha Shrimp Jambalaya
Buckwheat adds another texture to this classic Creole cusine!
Serves: 4 portions
- 3/4 cup USDA Certified Organic Pocono Kasha
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice (not converted)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (4 ounces) chorizo, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced sweet green bell pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 pound shelled cooked medium-sized shrimp or 2 cups cooked chicken chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet (preferably nonstick), over high heat, cook and stir kasha and rice until toasted, about 3 minutes; remove to a bowl.
- To skillet, add oil; heat until hot; stir in chorizo, celery, onion and bell pepper; cook and stir over medium high heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add kasha and rice mixture along with 2-3/4 cups boiling water. Cover and simmer until kasha and rice are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and salt; cover and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. If desired, garnish with chopped parsley and/or thinly sliced green onion.