Entrées: Kasha Bengali
Indian inspired pilaf can be served with lamb or chicken.
2 Tbsp. slivered almonds
1 tsp. butter or margarine
1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 cup whole kasha or buckwheat groats (or a 1/2 cup of each)
2 tsp. curry powder
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Brown almonds in 1 tsp. butter in small skillet or microwave oven, stirring often, until toasted. Set aside.
- Drain juice adding water to make 2 cups liquid. Set aside.
- In a heat-proof casserole, melt 2 Tbsp. butter and saute onion. Then stir in kasha until each grain is coated.
- Add curry, bouillon cubes, and raisins.
- Stir in the 2 cups liquid, mix well, and cook over high heat until liquid is boiling.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover casserole and cook until kasha is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Stir in parsley, pineapple chucks, and toasted almonds; cook a few minutes longer until pineapple is hot.