Entrées: Italian Peppers and Kasha Stuffing
Stuffed peppers that the whole family can enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup whole kasha
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dillweed or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 4 Italian frying peppers or 3 sweet green or red bell peppers, cut lengthwise in halves and seeded
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and carrot; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, kasha, salt and black pepper. Cook and stir until mushrooms are tender and kasha is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water and the dill; cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in half of the feta. Spoon kasha mixture into each pepper half, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with remaining feta. Arrange peppers in a single layer in a microwaveable dish.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the dish. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or waxed paper; microwave on high until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350* F. Arrange stuffed peppers in a single layer in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add 3/4 cup water to the dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- *If peppers do not fit dish, prepare recipe in two batches.