Desserts: Gingerbread Cake
Great spicy flavor, perfect for the holidays.
Serves: 1 eight-inch cake
- 1 and 1/4 cup Pocono Light Buckwheat Flour (adjust up/down for too wet /dry by 1/8 cup)
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup light oil
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses plus 1/4 cup honey & 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. each: lemon, orange, and vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. each: ground allspice, ginger, mace, nutmeg, and star anise
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Using an 8-inch pan, coat interior surfaces with no-stick spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda; whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and oil. Set on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, to medium bowl, add egg, sweeteners, salt, extracts, and spices. Whisk briskly for 1 minute. When liquid is boiling, pour onto mixture and immediately whisk for 5 seconds. Immediately tip in dry ingredients; with whisk, fold quickly but lightly just until flour is moistened but batter is still lumpy. Pour foamy batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan. Serve with whipped cream