Entrées: Traditional Beef Rouladen
A traditional German meat dish consisting of kasha and vegetables wrapped in thinly sliced beef which is then cooked.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
3 cups cooked kasha
2 lb. thin-sliced round steak
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup sour cream or non-dairy sour cream
- Saute onions, celery, and mushrooms in margarine or butter until onions are soft.
- Prepare kasha according to package directions using beef broth. Add to sauted vegetables and cool.
- Use flat mallet to pound meat until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into pieces 3 x 6 inches and season with salt and pepper.
- Slightly beat egg and add to cooled kasha mixture.
- Spoon mixture on 6-inch edge of beef pieces. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure rolls with string or metal skewers. Dredge rolls in flour, then brown in oil; remove.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into pan juices, add wine and beef broth.
- Return meat to pan and simmer, covered until tender (about 1 hour).
- Combine pan juices with sour cream and use as sauce over beef.