Soups & Salads: Kasha and Black Bean Salad
Packed with protein!
Serves: 4-6 people
- 2 cups cooked kasha (whole or coarse)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup bottled Dijon vinaigrette
- Fresh spinach
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- Prepare kasha according to package directions, using chicken or vegetable broth. Cut cheese into 1/4-inch cubes. In a large non-metal bowl, combine kasha, black beans, cheese, celery, peppers, onions and basil.
- Mix well, then add vinaigrette and toss. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Before serving, add 2 cups fresh spinach cut into strips; toss. Arrange additional spinach leaves in salad bowl or on platter.
- Top with salad and sprinkle with bacon.