Ingredients3 cups cooked kasha (whole or course granulation)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 lb. bulk hot Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 Â½ tsp. Italian seasoning, crushed
1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1. Prepare kasha according to package directions, using chicken or vegetable broth.
2. In large bowl, mix kasha with tomato sauce; set aside.
3. In skillet, crumble sausage; add onions and Italian seasoning. Cook until sausage is browned, stirring frequently.
4. Drain sausage, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Place sausage mixture in 2-quart oblong baking dish.
5. Fluff kasha with fork and spread over sausage.
6. Saute zucchini and squash in 2 tablespoons drippings just until tender; arrange over kasha mix.
7. Sprinkle with cheeses.
8. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until hot and cheese melts.